Sunday, May 27, 2012

Birthday Adventures

Yesterday was my 27th birthday.  Nathan and I had not planned anything very exciting to mark the occasion other than a trip out to dinner to the Texas Road House.  I was just expecting a very mellow day.  Let me explain why birthdays in my family were never a really big deal.  It was not because we weren't loved or nobody cared, it was just a matter of every ones birthdays falling in the same week. Birthday overload. We usually shared one cake and it felt more like a mini Christmas in May.   Here's the timeline we celebrate every year.

          • May 24th My sister Sam's Birthday
          • May 25th My parent's Anniversary
          • May 26th My Birthday
          • May 27th My Father's Birthday
          • May 28th My Mother's Birthday and my Father-in-Law's Birthday

 Before you ask, No, none of this was planned.  My parents did not know each others birthdays at the time they picked May 25th to get married, and my sister and I both made our entrance's into the world slightly earlier than our expected due dates.  And thus we end up with mini Christmas in May.

Yesteray started off like most other days that Nathan and I are lucky enough to both be off work.  He got home from working the night shift and took my car to the tire store to have new tires put on.  In the mean time I went to the local high school to pick up our weekly delivery from Bountiful Baskets.  If you dont know what this is you should click the link to find out.  After these errends Nate took a  nap (remember he just worked the night shift) and I did alittle work around the house.  A little after three PM we headed over to his parents house for a visit before heading out to dinner.  They were not home when we got there so Nate decided to take his brothers new dump truck for a spin and took me along for the ride.  Nate's family owns several peices of large equipement to do odd jobs but I had never before ridden in any of it.  That was the first adventure/ or thing I had never done that I did on my birthday. 
Brian's new dump truck.  Just a little guy.

When Nates parents returned we had a nice visit than drove into the city for dinner. The resterant was crowded as to be expected on a Satureday night but we still enjoyed the time together.

On the drive home I decided that I wanted to do another thing that I had previously never done.  I have lived in Utah my entire life and near the Great Salt Lake for the last four year but I had never been to the lake shore or touched the water.  It was time for that to happen!  I asked Nate to take me out to a giant rock that stands on the southern corner of the GSL so that I could finally touch the water.    We had a good time even though a storm was blowing in and as Nate was saying in hes best pirate voice "the waters be angry, and the winds are fierce."

I'm finally at the Great Salt Lake.
Nathan at the Lake.
I told you the wind was blowing.  This was about the time that Nate was speaking like a Sailor.
Nathan climbing the giant rock.  I'm too afraid of hights to join him.
All in all it ended up as a very memorable day and a Happy Birthday. 

Happy Sunday Y'all 
Happy Birthday Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment