Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My first Deer

This last weekend Nathan and I headed up to the family cabin hoping that I could fill my buck deer tag.   We headed up on Thursday afternoon and because it was so late we just drove around looking for deer from the road and stopped to take some fun pictures in the canyon that we love.


 
The next day, Friday, we headed out early in the morning with Nathan's dad David and brother Brian.  We drove the Jeep up a neighboring canyon and continued our search.  By mid-morning we had spotted three good sized bucks and tried to sneak-up on them through the snow, but they ended up spooking over the ridge before we could get up to them.  
For the rest of the day we sat in different locations scoping the hillsides looking for more bucks. 
Eventually sunset started setting in and it got cold so we started heading back down the canyon to the main road.  
Along the way three doe's ran across the road in front of us and we stopped to watch them.  When we looked back from where the doe's came from there were two small bucks following them.  That's when we got excited.  Nathan handed me the 30 30 rifle and I jumped out of the Jeep.  During that time the bucks had come down the one hillside, across the road and back up the other side.  I pulled the gun up to my shoulder, sighted in on the second buck and fired.  The boys said it was a  great shot and we watched as the buck tumbled down the mountain side to the bottom of the ravine by the roadway.
Because it was so cold and was going to get dark soon Nathan and David took care of the buck and we than we headed back to the warmth of the cabin. 
Here are some pictures of me with my buck the next day.  He was originally a 3-point buck but in the tumble down the hillside we managed to brake several of the tips off his antlers so he only looks like a two point in the pictures. 



 
I had a great time and I cant wait to do it again next year.  And a big thanks to my guides Nathan and David.

Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment