Saturday, July 20, 2013

Girls Camp 2013

Becca, Sarah, and Emily doing some quiet scripture study.
This year of Girls Camp was a completely different experiance for me then the last 10 years of camp that I have had the privilege of participating in.  This year I was called to be Camp Director.  It was my responsibility to not only join the girls and have fun but to plan and prepare nearly every aspect of the 5 day camp. Everything from ensuring that we had enough tents and equipment, to what crafts and activities we would do, and who would sleep in what tent. Lets just say it was a very busy and stressful time in the months leading up to last weeks camp as I worried and fretted about every aspect of camp. 


The girls gathered at the amphitheater for devotional.

 Luckily as soon as we arrived at camp and got settled in I was slowly able to relax and begin to enjoy the simple fun and sweet spirit that always accompanies girls camp for me. The stake theme of 'Hakuna Matata, No Worries' was true for me.
I had done my planning now it was time to help the girls/ and myself just have fun and spiritual time.  And we did.


Sarah jumping over the stream during the hike.

Camille, Olivia, Jorjee, and Madison eating lunch on the hike.


Myself, Cyndi, and JoAnn on the hike.


 The hike (or death march) was a very difficult, very steep trail that included 6 stream crossings, only two of which had small bridges.  We marched in a line of over 250 girls and leaders for nearly five miles round trip.  Happily popsicles waited at the end to help cool us all down.

The end of our skit when everyone sings Hakuna Matata.
Terni studying her scriptures.




Our skit was a spoof of the Youtube video 'How animals eat their food."  We changed it up a bit to be how African animals eat their food and even had guest appearances from Lion King's Timon and Pumba.




 
Lunch crew.















Jorjee showing off the olives for lunch.





It did rain on us the last full day but armed with poncho's and trash bags the girls continued to enjoy themselves and make the most of our time.  Luckily we had borrowed enough easy-up canopies to provide shade that they also kept most of our campsite and tables dry and usable during the storm that lasted several hours.


Singing during the circle of songs.
Amanda, Emily, Emily Alexis, and Christina.


All in all I believe that camp was a success, all the girls had fun, no one had to go home early and they felt the spirit. 
I am glad that this years camp is finished and I am also excited to begin working on planning next years camp.  I already have a theme in mind and a campsite at Heber Valley Girls Camp reserved and the count down has begun.  Only 10 more months until we camp again!






I do love Girls Camp.

Amanda, Terni, Jorjee, and Lainey at the entrance of our campground.


Many of the leaders, proof that we survived.
 

1 comment:

  1. Any time you can bring as many home as you took-that is a success!! Glad you had a great time. We are looking forward to next year too, and seeing you here at HVC. Love ya lots--E/S H

    ReplyDelete